Monday, October 5, 2009

Alex Queral

Alter Ego, acrylic on carved phone book, 11 in x 9 in.

My fascination with heads began as an art student. For me, the human head was a natural choice of subject matter because of its inherent expressiveness. I carve the faces out of phone books because I like the three-dimensional quality that results and because of the unexpected results that occur working in this medium. The three-dimensional quality enhances the feeling of the pieces as an object as opposed to a picture.
In carving and painting a head from a phone directory, I’m celebrating the individual lost in the anonymous list of thousands of names that describe the size of the community. In addition, I like the idea of creating something that is normally discarded every year into an object of longevity.
Cuban, M.F.A., Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA B.F.A., Magna Cum Laude, University of Washington, Seattle, WA .

No comments: