Monday, November 17, 2008

Cindy Zarrilli

Boxing Girls, 2005, oil on canvas, 48 in x 36 in
(from the Kodachrome Memories series)

This series of work is based on my fathers slide collection. The photographs do not always tell the whole story. When I think back on my family I really remember the sense of humor that my family always embodied. Various characters such as my Uncle Herb the cowboy and my Aunt Freda the fisherwoman flood my imagination as I look at the photographs.

The paintings tell a narrative of my life as seen by my father and then translated by myself. The passage of time makes memories grow fonder. The humorous elements of my childhood shine through. The painting of the children and the pills might be titled "Laughter is the Best Medicine." The paintings are deliberately very bright in color to exaggerate the slide quality of my fathers documentation of our family.

American

No comments: